When a smile has an excessive amount of gum tissue that shows above the top teeth it is considered a gummy smile. Here at Costa Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we meet many patients who are bothered by their gummy smile. They are not pleased with the appearance of their smile and feel self-conscious about it.
The good news is that a gummy smile does not have to be permanent and can be fixed. Before we get into the various treatment options available for a gummy smile, let’s take a closer look at its causes.
While a gummy smile can be the result of a wide array of causes, the most common ones include:
- Teeth that look short because they have not erupted properly and are partially covered by gum tissue
- A short upper lift
- A hyperactive upper lift that features a normal length when the face is resting but lifts too high when the face is smiling
- Long or enlarged gums
- An overgrowth of the upper jaw that causes the gums to bulge out
As you can see, all of these causes have to do with the teeth, jaws, gums, and lips. All of these components play a vital role in the aesthetics of your smile. If one component is improperly positioned or the proportion is off, a gummy smile can occur.
Although treatment for a gummy smile varies from patient to patient and depends on the particular cause, we usually recommend the following:
- Jaw surgery combined with orthodontic treatment
- Crowns or veneers
- A gingivectomy to remove extra gum tissue
- Crown lengthening surgery
- Lip repositioning surgery
- Laser treatments
Contact Costa Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
If you are concerned about your gummy smile, it is in your best interest to call 703-439-1214 to schedule an appointment at our office today.