TMJ disorders can cause significant discomfort and prevent you from enjoying a healthy quality of life. Our dentists and team provide treatments to relieve your discomfort and help you improve your oral function. Call Costa Dentistry today to learn more about TMJ treatment in Ashburn and Great Falls, Virginia, and reserve your free consultation.
What is TMJ?
The TMJ, or temporomandibular joint, is the joint that connects your upper and lower jaws. If this joint is out of place or not working as it should, it causes what is known as a TMJ disorder. TMJ disorders impact your ability to speak, eat, yawn and perform other daily functions easily and comfortably.
What are the symptoms of TMJ disorders?
Common symptoms of TMJ disorders include:
- Locking and popping of the jaw while opening and closing the mouth
- Pain when eating or speaking
- Changes in your bite
- Headaches, migraines and neck pain
How are TMJ disorders treated?
There are a number of treatments which our dentists may recommend based on your needs and the severity of the disorder, including:
- Jaw and facial relaxation exercises
- Night guards to prevent damage from clenching and grinding
- Medication such as anti-inflammatories, over-the-counter pain relievers or muscle relaxants
- Restorative dental treatments
- Jaw surgery